Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Gardening

I was able to get out in the yard to prune the bushes and see how everything was coming up. It is looking all green out there again - hooray! The lilac, daffodils, tulips and hyacinth are blooming, crocus' are done, hostas are coming up full and strong as well as many other perennials. I seriously need to do some major weeding. I have herbs at the end of the drive that are coming up well, but Tom buried half the bed while working on the driveway - so I am going to just move them to the bed by the porch and let the other bed go. We should work on tilling and fertilizing the garden spot we used last year and plant a few things. We will keep it small again, just enough for the kids to get the experience and have a few fresh things for the table.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's great, Amber! Sounds like you've got a lot of things planted. The best way I've found to keep on top of weeds is to attack them just a bit at a time, regularly (like at least several days a week). Otherwise it can seem too daunting. It's amazing how much weeding can be done in, say, 15 or 20 minutes a day!

Once you're sure an area is completely weed-free (as much as possible to tell!) it's a good idea to put bark down at least an inch thick, unless it's an area that you want to sow annual seeds in.

Even if you end up wanting to plant more in the barked area later on, you just have to clear some bark aside from the area to be planted, then cover the area over again when you're done.

Generally the rule is, 1 inch of bark keeps annual weeds down 1 year & I often use 2 inches! Of course perennials will usually come up through the bark no matter what, but if you clear them completely out before barking, you should be weed-free!

You may know all that already, but hope it helps some anyway! :)